Friday, March 22, 2013

What kind of parent are you?

Parents only want the best for their children  A mother knows best. These may sound cliche. And kids these days may say, "Oh, I've heard of that before" ("Narinig ko na yan"). No matter how much explaining a parent does, kids would just realized the truth of these words when they become parents themselves. My decision to be a stay-at-home mom was brought about by my mother's lack of time for me and my sisters. When I still think about it now, I still get teary eyed. I don't blame my mother. Maybe she had her own reasons. What I have become was brought about by my decisions in life. It would be unfair to blame my mother for my own shortcomings. When I became a mother, I told myself that I would devote my time to my children. It was never easy to give up my job. I have dreamt of it several times. I wished I could have done some more things when I was working. A lot of what ifs, but it's ok.

Now that I have three children, balancing my time for them is never easy. I also have my bouts of anger and frustration. Life is not perfect you know, and it will never be. When my kids do not listen, I also shout. When they do not follow, I also get angry. When they commit mistakes, I also get frustrated. But it's ok. Being a mother is all about acceptance. Accepting the flaws of your child would make you love him more. I discipline my kids by the 'face the wall' method. You see, when they have become too hardheaded, I ask them to stay in one corner and face the wall. At that time, I deprive them of anything. It's hard to see them crying. But I want them to realize that they cannot always have it their way.

It is easy to say that 'I am a parent'. What is more challenging is "I am a good parent". And in the end, it is only our children who can judge us in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment