Saturday, March 23, 2013

All about Skin Asthma

My eldest daughter was diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema/Skin Asthma) when she was six months old.  I remember that it started with a round, pink patch on her cheek. When I first showed it to our pediatrician, she said it was ringworm. So she prescribed skin ointments for it. Three months have passed, and my daughter's skin patch just worsened: it became a fresh-like wound. It was not easy to look for a good doctor. Luckily, I was able to meet a young and friendly dermatologist. She prescribed Physiogel, Elica and an anti-histamine for my daughter. It worked! She told me that my daughter cannot eat seafood, chicken, eggs, citrus fruits, etc. So i asked myself: What am i going to feed her? One great challenge for kids with skin asthma is the limitation on food. But being a mother, I did not listen to the doctor and just gave what my daughter wanted. So she continued eating chicken and seafood.

Several months later, when she ate chicken from KFC, her skin asthma re-appeared, and it became really worse. She was itchy all over, rashes all over her body, and her face was covered with patches of dried wounds. What was worse, her hands were so itchy, it became wet and wounded. It was really hard to describe. I remember bringing her to the doctor, she was having difficulty moving, specially her hands, and she was crying. The people were looking at us, thinking that she has severe chicken pox. When the doctor saw her, she said it was still skin asthma, and it just became worse. She prescribed mixing Physiogel and another ointment, and taking Celestamine. And it worked again! 

Looking back now, my daughter still has skin asthma, but not that worse compared before. Her skin becomes dry and flaky when the weather changes. She still eats seafood but on a limited basis. Since we have moved to the countryside, I decided to change doctors. She is now under the care of a pedia-allergologist. According to the doctor, who is very nice and accommodating, my daughter can eat chicken. She conducted skin tests to know which food she is allergic from. It showed that she is allergic from eggs. So she doesn't eat anything that has an egg ingredient in it. Aside from Celestamine, she prescribed using Dove Sensitive and Petroleum Jelly to her entire body every day.

For now, everything seems to be fine. Her skin asthma has become manageable so far. I hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment