Sunday, August 17, 2014

What I Am Proud Of

I've been a little depressed these past weeks, but suddenly had a change of perspective. The sudden change was unexplainable. So I would like to write about what I am proud of. This article includes my big and not-so-big accomplishments as a wife and mother. Happy reading!

1.I am proud of witnessing my children's milestones
When a mother works outside, she misses a lot. Although the work contributed by women nowadays are given more worth compared before, nothing beats seeing your child's first smile or first step. I had a child one after another, but despite that, I never missed any of their milestones. It never stops to make me smile when I think about them.

2. I am proud of knowing my husband more.
I always tell my husband that our relationship is tested by distance. In the 9 years that we have been together as a couple, 3 years of that, he stayed in Japan, 1 year he stayed in Qatar, he goes home only twice a week because his work is in Makati, and going home everything would exhaust his time, money and energy. I admit that even when we got married, we still didn't know a lot about each other. Our relationship grew as we were blessed with more children. That meant having a limited time with only the two of us. Both of us exerted a lot of effort to make each other feel special. It was a challenge at first but we were able to surpass it. Yes, it was difficult but worth it.


3. I am proud of my work.
When I was studying my master's degree in UP, I was ashamed of my job. Whenever I was asked what my job is, I would get blank stares from others. I felt that other people think my work wasn't that serious to be considered a career. I guess partly true. I've been working as an ESL teacher since 2005. Ever since quitting my job in 2009 and becoming a housewife after, I was left with no choice but to look for a job that would be easy to do at home. Still, ESL teaching came as a good opportunity. I am more proud of it now because I do not need to leave my house but still get a salary that is the same as those working outside.

4. I am proud of my little home.
I could still remember the time when I was questioned why I bought and used my husband's money for a 26.8 studio unit. I could still remember my mother-in-law's reaction upon seeing the unit, looking a for staircase (of course there was no staircase!). They made me feel I just wasted a lot of money for a small property. I had to let it all pass at that time. I am vindicated now. That small house witnessed my family's struggles and happiness for 4 years. 

5. I am proud of being a housewife.
Being a housewife and accepting that I have become a housewife were both difficult in the beginning. It was sad comparing myself to my peers and seeing how successful they have become in their chosen fields. I remembered saying that I wanted to be a housewife, but I wasn't ready with the responsibilities included. God listened to what I wanted to become and everything changed. It was disappointing at first. Doing everything on my own and still taking care of the children after was physically, mentally, and emotionally draining. But I have gotten used to it and couldn't last a day not doing a task for any of my family. 

6. I am proud of my children.
Last, but definitely not the least. I love my children so much because they complete me. They're like ordinary kids, but they're special to me. They are different in their own ways. They have their own strengths and shortcomings. They make me cry and they make me smile. When I look at them, I always think they're still babies. Even if I had a lot of difficult time taking care of them when they were smaller, I don't want them to grow up fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment