Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Teaching Kids about Gender

These days, I have been facing a dilemma on how to separate my children's toys. I have two daughters, 4 and 3 years old, and a son who just turned one. I have been constantly reminding my girls to 'pack away', yes that's the term I use when I want them to arrange their things, their girlie stuff like clips and headbands.The other day, I've noticed my son getting her sister's headband and trying it on, and I got a bit worried. I've realized that this early, I should start teaching my children about their gender. And I got worried again. Teaching it to kids under 5 would be a challenge because their minds are too young to understand things. Well, I should wait no further, I taught my two girls a rule: Never put their hair clips, headbands and hairbrushes near or within their brother's reach. So far, they've remembered it because I could hear them talking about it when their brother is around. I guess so far, so good.

Today, my girls decided to play with their dolls. I asked them to just go up in their room and play there so that their brother would not be interested to see what they're playing with. So I just played on Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol and started watching it with my son. After several minutes, my two daughters decided to join us.

My situation may seem easy but it's really tough. I never imagined that I would be teaching my kids about gender this early on. It's a challenge because they're too young. They ask too many questions. I'm not sure if I'm worrying too much, but I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment