Monday, April 15, 2013

SSS ID Application for Change of Name

When a woman gets married, she needs to change her surname. This means a lot of filling in and submitting of forms to the different government institutions to get a new set of identification cards. From SSS to Philhealth, to BIR, etc. There's more difficulty involved if a woman has no company to rely on in helping her make the necessary changes. Such thing happened to me. When I got married in 2009, I did not immediately change my IDs because I did not think that there was a need to. Fast forward to 2013, with only a passport as a valid ID, I have realized that I should have done updating my records and IDs a long time ago.

A few days ago, I decided to visit an SSS office and check if their ID capturing machine is working. I went to the Ayala Branch, just across PBCom Tower, at 8:30am. There weren't many people inside, maybe just about 30 are in line for Member's Verification. I immediately saw the line for ID capturing, and I was happy to see it was working. I wasted no time in going to the bank and immediately lining up for my records to be verified. Even if the security guard was quite a snob, the friendliness of the SSS staff has compensated for the unfriendliness of the guard. The whole process, from getting the E6 form to the ID capturing, took me almost one hour. 

Let me share with you some important points when applying for the Unified ID from SSS:

1. Contact the SSS office where you plan to apply for an ID. This is because some SSS offices have defective ID capturing machines. You might waste a lot of time if you've gone there but found out they couldn't facilitate your ID application.

2. Know what forms to get and read directions before filling it in. The form E6 is for the ID application. There are instructions at the back. Better read them than make a mistake. The payment form R6 is also needed for lost cards, change of names, etc. It is to be filled in in 4 copies.

3. Bring the necessary documents. Since the passport is considered as a primary document, it is already sufficient. For applications due to change of name, the old SSS ID card needs to be surrendered. Company ids, an NSO birth certificate, and other pertinent documents can be presented.

4. Don't be afraid to ask. Ask questions to the staff or the security guard. I have noticed that questions asked to other people, other than the SSS staff and/or the security guard, might only cause confusion. You may end up making a mistake in the process. Waste no time, ask questions. It's their job to answer queries. 

5. Thank other people. It brings positive vibes, simple.



No comments:

Post a Comment